Alma, Mich. - The Alma College softball team beat No. 9 Trine University (IN) 11-10 in a back-and-forth game one, then fell to the Thunder 8-0 in five innings in game two on Saturday (April 13).
Down 10-8 in game one, Alma (15-15, 4-8 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association) tied the game in the bottom of the sixth, then won it in the seventh on an RBI double by Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy).
In game two, the Scots didn't allow a hit to Trine (22-4, 8-2 MIAA) until the fourth inning, but it would start an eight-run Thunder rally that ended the game.
Terwilliger went 4-for-7 on the day with two doubles, a triple and two RBI. Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair) had three hits in six at-bats with three runs scored. McKenzie Creed (Edwardsburg, Mich. / Edwardsburg) had Alma's only other extra-base hit in the series.
How It Happened
Game One - at Alma 11, Trine 10
- Trine began the game with three runs in the first inning on two walks and two hits. Lainey McCue hit a single just past Hadyn Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) at shortstop to score one run. Then, a two-out double to left field by Victoria Porter was affected by the wind and fell for a two-RBI double.
- The Thunder threatened in the third inning but Alma was able to keep the damage to a minimum. Trine had two runners on base when ripped a liner past Creed at third, scoring one run. Ullrich got Lexi Clark to ground out to second base to end the threat.
- Alma bounced back with five runs in the third on a series of hits and one error. With two runners in scoring position and one out, Schweiger reached on an error by Trine's shortstop, allowing Claire Rumsey (Hesperia, Mich. / Hesperia) to score from third. Creed followed with a single up the middle to plate Hannah Fleming. After a walk to Hadyn Terwilliger to load the bases, Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) worked a walk to bring the Scots to within one. A wild pitch brought in another to tie the game, then Riley Terwilliger hit a double to right field to bring Hadyn home and give the Scots a 5-4 lead.
- Trine tied the game in the top of the fourth on a bases-loaded ground out. Skylar Crisenbery (Watervliet, Mich. / Coloma) came in in relief of Ullrich with the bases loaded to get the final two outs of the inning.
- Alma broke the tie with three runs in the bottom half of the inning. Tucker started with a bloop single to left field. Schweiger hit a bunt single and Creed knocked in Tucker with a liner down the left field line. After a strikeout, Martin sent a shot up the middle to plate both Schweiger and Creed and put the Scots up 8-5.
- Trine came back with three straight home runs to regain the lead. Makenna Hartline hit a two-run blast to bring Trine to within one. Then, Mercede Daugherty followed with another two-run shot to put Trine up one. McCue would hit a solo shot in the top of the sixth to add to the lead.
- Alma manufactured a run in the sixth when Morgan Trout (Otisville, Mich. / Lakeville) drove in Riley Terwilliger from second to pull to within one. Hannah Fleming (Rogers City, Mich. / Rogers City) followed with an RBI single to tie the game at 10.
- In the top of the seventh, Trine had a chance to put Alma in a tough spot with the bases loaded and one out, but Ullrich reentered the game to get Michaela Hartline to pop out to third and Claire Ryan to fly out to center field.
- Schweiger led off the bottom of the seventh and reached first on an error by the shortstop. Creed sacrificed herself to get Schweiger, the winning run, to second. With two outs, Riley Terwilliger drove Schweiger in with a double to the gap in left-center field to win the game.
Game Two - at Trine 8, Alma 0 (5 innings)
- Both teams combined for just one hit through the first three innings: a Hadyn Terwilliger single to centerfield. Madyson Piche (Sault Sainte Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) gave one a ride in the top of the second but Trine's left fielder made a jumping catch at the wall to rob a potential home run.
- The Thunder broke the game open in the fourth with eight runs on nine hits. Both Michaela and Makenna Hartline hit home runs for Trine.
- Riley Terwilliger finished game one a home run shy of the cycle.
Alma will host Anderson University (IN) on Friday (April 19) in its last non-conference matchup of the season. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.