Alma, Mich. - Hadyn Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) came up big for the Alma College softball team again on Sunday (April 7) as the Scots split a pair of games with Thomas More College (KY), dropping game one 7-2 and winning game two 4-3.
In the second game, the Scots (13-13) took a two-run lead in the bottom of the sixth, but Thomas More (22-8) tied the game with two outs in the top of the seventh. That allowed Terwilliger to place a single through the left side and score the winning run from third for Alma.
Freshman first baseman Becca Spenner (Berrien Center, Mich. / Lakeshore) hit her first career home run and also came up with a timely hit in the game two win. Skylar Crisenbery (Watervliet, Mich. / Coloma) took the loss in game one but struck out six batters over 5.2 innings. Jenna Steinhoff (Gladstone, Mich. / Gladstone) pitched in relief in both games and earned the win in game two. She allowed just one hit over 1.2 innings pitched.
How It Happened
Game One - Thomas More 7, at Alma 2
- The Scots gave many of its usual starters a break after Saturday's extra-inning doubleheader against Adrian.
- Thomas More scored two quick runs in the top of the first inning. It added one more in the third and four more in the fourth.
- Skylar Crisenbery (Watervliet, Mich. / Coloma) pitched through it all, stopping the bleeding mostly with strikeouts. The Saints scored both their first-inning runs with one out; Crisenbery got the final two outs by swinging strikeouts. After allowing four runs in the fourth, she fanned Elana Harrison – who earlier hit an RBI double off her – to end the inning. Crisenbery had six strikeouts in all.
- Spenner's home run came in the bottom of the fourth after Thomas More had already scored seven. She took Alix DeDreu deep to left field for a two-run blast.
Game Two - at Alma 4, Thomas More 3
- The Saints manufactured one run in the top of the first on a double and a single. Alma took advantage of some good fortune in the bottom half of the inning when Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich. / Coleman) got to third base on a dropped fly ball by Thomas More's center fielder. She scored on another error when the second baseman mishandled a grounder by Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair).
- Alma scored two runs in the sixth inning, but it could have been three as Schweiger was thrown out at home on a single to center field. All was not lost – Madyson Piche (Sault Sainte Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) hit a rope to center field to score Claire Rumsey (Hesperia, Mich. / Hesperia) and came around to score herself on a Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) bloop single to left field.
- The Saints immediately tied the game the next half inning. They loaded the bases for Baylee Hobeika who doubled home two runs to tie the game.
- Spenner led off the bottom of the seventh with a single to left-center field; Teah Lint (Saint Joseph, Mich. / Lakeshore) pinch ran for her and advanced to third on a passed ball. After Schweiger earned a walk and Thomas More intentionally walked Creed to face Hadyn Terwilliger, the freshman shortstop singled through the left side to end the game.
The Scots will host Kalamazoo College on Tuesday (April 9) in a doubleheader starting at 3:00 p.m.