Alma, Mich. - The Alma College softball team split a doubleheader with Calvin College on Thursday (March 28) afternoon with a 7-4 win in game one and a 4-3 loss in game two as both teams opened conference play. The Scots are now 11-7 on the year while Calvin is 11-5.
Hadyn Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) hit a home run in each game. She went 4-for-7 with four RBI on the day. Jazmine Hamm (Byron Center, Mich. / Byron Center) earned her fifth win of the year in game one. She allowed four runs on nine hits and four strikeouts over all seven innings.
With the game one score tied at four, Alma scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning earn the eventual win. In game two, the Scots led 3-2 in the bottom of the fifth, but Calvin's Grace Quiggle hit a two-run home run to put the Knights in front.
How It Happened
Game 1 - at Alma 7, Calvin 4
- Cassidy Tucker opened the series with a home run to deep left field in the bottom of the first. Not to be outdone, Hadyn Terwilliger would follow with a two-run shot after a walk to Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch).
- In the bottom of the second with the bases loaded, Alma brought one run in on a fielder's choice by Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair), but the Scots would leave the bases loaded as McKenzie Creed (Edwardsburg, Mich. / Edwardsburg) popped up and Martin struck out.
- Calvin scored three runs on four hits in the third inning to pull to within one run. Hamm had not allowed a hit in the game until the third batter of the third inning, retiring all eight previous batters. Maddie DeGroot ended the inning with a single that scored two runs, but she was thrown out by Madyson Piche (Sault Sainte Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) trying to stretch a single to a double.
- Alma loaded the bases again in the fourth and again squandered the opportunity when Terwilliger flew out to left field.
- Calvin tied the game with three singles in the top of the fifth.
- The Scots finally came through with the bases loaded in the sixth inning. Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) cleared the bases with a double to the right-center field gap. That gave the Scots a 7-4 lead going into the top of the seventh.
- The Knights had the game-tying run at the plate with one out in the top of the seventh, but DeGroot flew out to center field and Abi Colon grounded out to Creed at third base to end the game.
Game 2 - at Calvin 4, Alma 3
- The Knights began the game with two runs in the bottom of the first.
- Hadyn Terwilliger cut the lead in half with a solo home run to lead off the bottom of the second inning. After Riley Terwilliger drew a walk, Piche brought her home with a double to left-center field. The Scots would end the inning with the bases left loaded.
- With the bases loaded for Calvin in the bottom of the third and two outs, Skylar Crisenbery (Watervliet, Mich. / Coloma) got Rachel Borden to ground out to end the scoring threat.
- The Scots had runners on second and third in the top of the fifth and Hadyn Terwilliger beat out a slow grounder to shortstop to score Tucker from third. That gave Alma a 3-2 lead.
- Calvin's Grace Quiggle hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the fifth to give Calvin the lead.
- Schweiger got to second in Alma's final half inning, but the Scots couldn't get her home. Martin flew out to center field to end the game.
- Alma's loss in game two was its fifth one-run loss this year.
- After Thursday's results, Cassidy Tucker leads the conference with a .474 batting average.
- Hadyn Terwilliger is now tied for fifth in the conference with three home runs.
- All of Calvin's runs in game one came with two outs.
The Scots continue conference play with a trip to Kalamazoo on Saturday. Their doubleheader against the Hornets begins at 1:00 p.m.