Clermont, Fla. - The Alma College softball team picked up two more wins on Thursday (Feb. 28), 8-4 over Hanover and 14-2 over Neumann in five innings. The Scots are now 5-3 having won their last five, while Hanover falls to 3-4 and Neumann to 6-1.
McKenzie Creed (Edwardsburg, Mich. / Edwardsburg) hit her second and third home runs of the season and posted five RBI against the Knights while Hadyn Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) hit two doubles and drove in three against the Panthers.
Skylar Crisenbery (Watervliet, Mich. / Coloma) allowed four runs (none earned) on six hits in four innings in game one. Haley Ullrich (Elk River, Minn. / Elk River) struck out three over the final three innings. Jazmine Hamm (Byron Center, Mich. / Byron Center) struck out four and allowed two runs on seven hits over five innings against Neumann.
How It Happened
Game 1 - Hanover 4, Alma 8
- The Panthers jumped out to a 4-0 lead after two innings. Mackenzie Smith scored on a passed ball in the first and three more runs scored in the second after a pair of singles. Smith made it on base after a throwing error to first; it would have been the third out of the inning.
- After getting just two baserunners over the first three innings, the Scots broke open in the fourth. Terwilliger doubled Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) home to get Alma on the board, then Bry Chapman (Holt, Mich. / Holt) scored Claire Rumsey (Hesperia, Mich. / Hesperia) with a sacrifice fly.
- The Scots took the lead with a six-run fifth inning. After two singles and a walk loaded the bases, Martin singled home Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich. / Coleman) and Terwilliger followed with a double, scoring two more runs to give Alma the lead. Chapman and Morgan Trout (Otisville, Mich. / Lakeville) would add to the lead, driving in runs on singles, and Hannah Cambe (Demotte, Ind. / Kankakee Valley) drove in the Scots' final run on a groundout.
- Ullrich entered the game in the fifth inning. Twice she got out of an inning with a runner on second, including in the top of the fifth after Alma had pulled to within two. She struck out two Panthers in the seventh, including getting Kiley Shedron looking to end the game.
Game 2 - Alma 14, Neumann 2 (5 innings)
- Alma came out hot in the second game - Tucker and Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair) both singled and Creed launched a home run to left field; the Scots wouldn't look back from there. Chapman also drove in Martin in the inning.
- Alma loaded the bases with two singles and a bunt, and Martin brought them all home with a triple to right-center field. Chapman followed with another single, driving in Martin.
- The Scots tacked on four more runs in the fourth with solid hitting and sound baserunning. Out of five hits in the inning, only one went for extra bases: Creed's leadoff double. Chapman and Cambe also picked up RBI singles in the inning. Creed bookended the game with her second home run, putting a stamp on Alma's rout.
- Hamm settled in nicely after allowing four baserunners in the first two innings, including loading the bases in the first. She put the Knights down in order in both the third and fourth innings and stayed the course after allowing two runs in the bottom of the fifth.
- McKenzie Creed becomes the second player in the last two years to hit two home runs in one game; Mary Brooks did so in 2018 against Bluffton. Prior to that, it hadn't been done since 2010.
- This is the third time in McKenzie Creed's career she has driven in five runs in a game. Five RBI is one off her career-high.
Alma concludes its Florida spring trip on Friday (March 1) with a doubleheader against Rensselaer at 9:15 a.m. and Milwaukee School of Engineering (WI) at 11:30 a.m.