Notre Dame, Ind. - The Alma College softball team dropped two games in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association tournament on Friday (May 4), 6-2 to No. 10 Saint Mary's and 12-4 in six innings to Hope. The Scots (23-14) have thus been eliminated from the postseason.
Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich. / Portland) hit a two-RBI double to score Alma's only runs in the fifth inning of game one. Katie McClure (Manchester, Mich. / Manchester) threw all six innings and allowed six runs (four earned) on six hits and three strikeouts.
Brooks went 2-for-3 with two RBI in game two. She also pitched 3.1 innings and allowed four runs (three earned) on five hits.
Game One - at Saint Mary's 6, Alma 2
- Saint Mary's struck first with a run in the first inning. It added two more runs in the third.
- Alma got on the board in the fifth when Brooks doubled home Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair) and Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich. / Coleman) to bring the score to 3-2.
- The Belles added another run in the bottom of the fifth and two more in the sixth.
Game Two - at Hope 12, Alma 4 (6 innings)
- Alma opened the scoring in the first on a single by Brooks that scored Schweiger from second.
- Hope scored twice in the bottom half of the inning, then once more in the second.
- Alma tied the game in the third inning on two unearned runs. Hope's first baseman was credited with an error that allowed Kendall Bird (Holt, Mich. / Holt) and Schweiger to knot the game at three.
- Hope took a one-run lead after a sacrifice fly in the fourth inning.
- Alma again tied the game when Brooks singled home Tucker from second.
- Hope took an 8-4 lead with four runs in the fifth. It would add three more runs in the sixth.
- Saint Mary's had three extra-base hits in game one; Alma had two.
- Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) went 2-for-3 in game one.
- Chelsea Schweiger went 1-for-4 with a double and a run scored in game one.
- Cassidy Tucker went 2-for-2 with a triple and a walk in game two.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director