Adrian, Mich. - The Alma College softball team split a doubleheader against the Bulldogs on Sunday (April 22), dropping game one 5-4 before winning game two 10-2 in five innings.
Alma is now 19-12 overall and 5-7 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Adrian is 14-18 and 6-6.
Katie McClure ( Manchester, Mich. / Manchester), Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) and Bry Chapman (Holt, Mich. / Holt) all hit home runs in the series. McClure also allowed five runs (one earned) on four hits in six innings and struck out 10 batters in game one. Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich. / Portland) won game two behind two hits and two runs allowed.
Game One - Alma 4, at Adrian 5
- Alma scored the game's first four runs - two in the third and two more in the fourth.
- The first two runs were manufactured with good baserunning. Chapman scored on an error by Adrian's first baseman, then Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich. / Coleman) scored from third base as Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair) stole second.
- In the fourth, Chapman hit her first career home run to center field, plating McClure.
- Adrian scored five runs in the bottom of the fifth, capped by a three-run home run by Kyleen Wilson to lead to the eventual 5-4 win.
Game Two - at Adrian 2, Alma 10 (5 innings)
- Alma was also the first to score in game two. It put up four runs in the fourth and added six in the fifth. Adrian would score two in between.
- With two runners on, Martin singled up the middle, scoring Kendall Bird (Holt, Mich. / Holt). McClure followed with her first home run of the season to give Alma a 4-0 lead.
- In the fifth, Brooks singled home Tucker to start the scoring. After a walk to Madyson Piche (Sault Saint Marie, Mich. / Sault Area), Martin hit her second home run in three games and third of the season. Erin Lee (Commerce, Mich. / Walled Lake Northern) ended the game with a single up the middle to score Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy).
- Katie McClure tied a career high in strikeouts and a season high in hits and earned runs allowed.
- Kaylee Martin is second on the team with three home runs.
- Mary Brooks tied a season- and career-high in hits allowed with two.
Alma is scheduled to host Hope College in a doubleheader on Wednesday, April 25 beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director