Grand Rapids, Mich. - The Alma College softball team split a pair of games to the No. 20 Calvin Knights on Tuesday (April 10). Alma (18-7, 4-2 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association) won game one 7-3 and dropped game two 10-2 in six innings.
Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair) went 3-for-6 with a double on the day. Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich. / Portland) went 2-for-4 in game one with a double and three RBI. Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) and Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) both went 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI in the win. Katie McClure (Manchester, Mich. / Manchester) earned the win on the mound, tossing all seven innings and allowing three runs (two earned) on nine hits.
Kayla Groen went 4-for-6 with two doubles for Calvin (16-5, 3-3 MIAA). Jessica Brasser went 2-for-4 three RBI and two runs scored in game two.
How It Happened
Game 1 - Alma 7, at Calvin 3
- Alma scored a pair of runs in the fourth inning. Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich. / Portland) doubled home Morgan Dubay (Merrill, Mich. / Merrill), who pinch ran for McKenzie Creed (Edwardsburg, Mich. / Edwardsburg) after a walk. Brooks later scored on a Martin single.
- The Scots added four more runs in the fifth on a series of hits. With the bases loaded, Brooks knocked in Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich. / Coleman) and Schweiger. Later, both Brooks and Creed scored when Terwilliger singled them home.
- Calvin picked one run in each of the fifth and sixth innings.
- Alma got one run back in the top of the seventh after a single by Martin scored Terwilliger who doubled.
Game 2, at Calvin 10, Alma 2 (6 innings)
- Alma was down 4-0 before it scored its first runs in the fifth inning. With two runners on, Tucker sacrificed McClure home, followed by a double by Schweiger that scored Bry Chapman (Holt, Mich. / Holt).
- Calvin scored six runs in the sixth inning to take a 10-2 lead.
- Cassidy Tucker went 0-for-5 with a walk. It is the first time Tucker has been held hitless over a doubleheader this season. She is third in the MIAA in batting average (.489).
- Mary Brooks remains in third in the MIAA in slugging percentage (.775) and second in total bases (69) and extra-base hits (16).
- Alma is currently 4-2 and in fourth place in the MIAA, one game ahead of the Knights.
Alma will host Saint Mary's on Wednesday (April 11) in a doubleheader starting at 3:30 p.m. The Belles are 24-2 overall and 6-0 and in first place in the MIAA.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director