Clermont, Fla. - The Alma College softball team split a pair of games on Friday (March 2) to end its Spring Break Florida trip. The Scots defeated Cabrini University 9-1 in five innings in game one and fell 11-3 to Neumann in game two. Alma heads back home with a 10-2 record; Cabrini is 2-3 after game one and Neumann is 4-3.
Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich. / Portland) was pitching a no-hitter against Cabrini until Carolyn Alcantara broke it up with two outs in the fifth inning with a bloop single down the right-field line. Freshman Jenna Steinhoff (Gladstone, Mich. / Gladstone) went 2-for-3 with four RBI in her first varsity action of the season, and sophomore second baseman Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich. / Coleman) hit her first home run of the season with a shot down the left field line.
How It Happened
- After two scoreless innings to start the game, the Scots picked up four runs in the top of the third. First, Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair) reached base on a bunt single. Bry Chapman (Holt, Mich. / Holt) followed that up with a single up the middle, and Mary Brooks reached on an error by Cabrini's second baseman, scoring Schweiger and advancing Chapman to third. Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) sacrificed herself to score Chapman for the inning's second run. Three batters later, Steinhoff singled to center field, scoring Brooks and Preslee Deater (Grant, Mich. / Grant), who walked.
- Alma tacked on three more runs in the fourth inning on three hits. Schweiger walked and stole second to lead off the frame and scored on a single by Brooks. Later in the inning, Steinhoff came up with the bases loaded and singled to right field, plating Terwilliger, who singled, and Madyson Piche (Sault Saint Marie, Mich. / Sault Area), who reached on a fielder's choice.
- Alma picked up with eighth and ninth runs in the top of the fifth. Tucker led off the inning with a home run. Schweiger followed with a double down the left field line and came around to score after Chapman advanced her to third on a groundout and Brooks sacrificed her in with a fly out to left field.
- Brooks got the first two outs of the inning but allowed two straight singles to break up her no-hitter. An error allowed Cabrini to score its first run of the game, but it was not enough to extend the game as Brooks made the final out with an assist to Kennedy Hilley (Lake Odessa, Mich. / Lakewood) at first.
- Neumann picked up a run in the top of the first. Jenna Cox singled up the middle to score Grace Sperrazara who doubled with a blooper down the left field line.
- Alma responded in the bottom half of the inning. Tucker led off with a walk and scored on a single by Brooks. The next batter, Riley Terwilliger, sent a shot to the right-center field wall to plate Brooks from first. Next up was Piche, who singled through the left side, scoring Terwilliger and giving Alma a 3-1 lead after one.
- Neumann tied the game in the top of the third on two hits and one error. A double by Kara Grogan scored Sperrazza from first and Grogan scored an unearned run on an Alma fielding error.
- The Knights took a one-run lead in the top of the fourth when Kristina Del Gaiso singled home Kiersten Fallers from third.
- Neumann added seven more in the top of the fifth to end the game on the mercy rule.
- Alma went 8-for 17 with runners on against Cabrini.
- It also went 5-for-9 with two outs in game one and 4-for-8 in the same situation in game two.
- Mary Brooks advanced runners in each of her four plate appearances against Cabrini.
- Jenna Steinhoff was 2-for-2 with two outs against Cabrini.
- Preslee Deater drew three walks and stole two bases against Cabrini.
- Cassidy Tucker has recorded a hit in every game thus far.
- Riley Terwilliger has reached base safely in each game, drawing a walk in the two games she did not record a hit.
Alma has nearly two weeks off before its next game. It hosts Ohio Northern University on Thursday, March 15 in a doubleheader beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director