Albion, Mich. - The Alma College men's tennis team defeated Albion College on Saturday (Feb. 3) evening, posting a 5-4 non-conference victory over the Britons at Albion's Ungrodt Tennis Center.
Alma took a 2-1 advantage with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles, then split the singles matches with Albion, including a walkover win at No. 6 singles to seal the match.
The Scots and Britons will meet again on March 10 in Albion.
How It Happened
- BJ Schuette and Luke Van Fleet opened the match with an 8-3 win over Albion's Josh McGarry and Nick Kinachtchouck at No. 1 doubles. After an 8-2 loss at No. 2 doubles, Brandon Ralston and Quinn Summerfield picked up Alma's second point with an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles.
- Schuette and Van Fleet suffered defeats at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively, before Noah Ackerman won at No. 3 singles, posting a 6-1, 6-3, victory over the Brits' Israel Trevino.
- Albion picked up a point at No. 4 singles, while Ralston took a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles. Summerfield was credited with the victory at No. 6 singles when Albion defaulted.
- The doubles team of Brandon Ralston and Quinn Summerfield is 2-0.
- Noah Ackerman has won both of his matches this season at No. 3 singles.
- Both Brandon Ralston and Quinn Summerfield have opened the season with back-to-back wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively.
The Scots will face Daemen College (NY) on Saturday, Feb. 10, in a non-conference match. The teams will open their competition at 11:30 a.m. at the MSU Tennis Center in East Lansing, Mich.