Alma, Mich. - The Alma College men's soccer team Trine University on Tuesday (Oct. 23). The Scots recognized its six-member senior class of Andrew Reid (Clarkston, Mich. / Clarkston), Justin Johnson (Midland, Mich. / Midland), Jake Geary (Novi, Mich. / Novi), Sam Swem (Buchanan, Mich. / Buchanan), Alex Martinez (Buchanan, Mich. / Buchanan) and Lucas Foust (Brooklyn, Mich. / Jackson Lumen Christi) prior to the game.
The Scots are the sixth seed in the MIAA postseason. They finished one point ahead of Albion and one point behind Kalamazoo.
How It Happened
- The Thunder opened the scoring in the 31st minute. Nooh Aljabaly passed to Brian Morris who beat his defender and shot past Mast and in. Minutes later, Aljabaly scored on a hard shot that deflected off Mast.
- Morris scored again in the 65th minute to extend the lead to three. Jonathan Slone tacked on one more after Reid came out of the net to make a play on the ball. It careened off him and back to Slone who put it in the vacant net.
- Garrison Mast (Grand Haven, Mich. / Grand Haven) made 11 saves in the game. It is the second time in his last three games he has made double digit saves.
- Mast leads the conference in saves with 71. This is the second consecutive year he has done so.
- The Scots took eight corner kicks in the match, six coming in the second half.
- Hunter Nash (Haslett, Mich. / Haslett) and Foust had Alma's two shots on goal. Nash had a header off a corner kick that forced Thunder goalkeeper Taylor Medina to make a jumping save, punching the ball over the crossbar.
- Nooh Aljabaly is the league leader in goals with 17.
The first round of the MIAA Tournament is on Saturday (Oct. 27). Alma will play Trine in Angola, Ind.