Olivet, Mich. - The Alma Scots men's soccer team snapped a brief two-game losing streak on Wednesday (Oct. 3) with a 2-1 win over Olivet to open play in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association.
Noah Canlas (Naperville, Ill. / Naperville Central) and Kyle Farmer (Greenville, Mich. / Greenville) both scored in the game. Garrison Mast (Grand Haven, Mich. / Grand Haven) made six saves in his first action since September 15.
Alma is now 4-5 overall and 1-0 in the MIAA. Olivet is 4-5-1 and 0-1.
- Canlas's goal came in the 16th minute. He headed the ball over the keeper who was drawn out of the net for his third goal of the year.
- Farmer followed that up with a goal in the 26th minute, his sixth of the season.
- Olivet's Joshua Rosendale cut into Alma's lead with a goal in the 55th minute.
- Olivet ramped up its offense in the last ten minutes - Mast was forced to make three saves between the 82nd and 84th minutes to maintain Alma's one-goal lead, which he did.
- Kyle Farmer is tied for fourth in the conference with six goals.
- Noah Canlas's goal was his first since Alma's last win, a 3-2 triumph over Aquinas.
- This is the second time both Canlas and Farmer have scored in the same game this season, the first coming against Aquinas.
- Farmer and Canlas are the team leaders in points. Farmer has 12 (six goals) while Canlas has seven (three goals, one assist).
- Tanner Parrett (Muskegon, Mich. / Mona Shores) and Danten McFate (Haslett, Mich. / Haslett) assisted on the goals. Parrett leads the team with three assists; McFate's assist was his first career point.
The Scots return home to face Albion on Saturday (Oct. 6). The match at Scotland Yard will begin at noon.