Danville, Ky. - The Alma College men's soccer team handed Spalding University its first loss of the year on Saturday (Sept. 8) by a score of 2-1 at the Bob Allen Nissan Classic. Junior midfielders Noah Canlas (Naperville, Ill. / Naperville Central) and Tanner Parrett (Muskegon, Mich. / Mona Shores) each scored for the Scots, while junior goalkeeper Garrison Mast (Grand Haven, Mich. / Grand Haven) made a season-high seven saves.
Canlas, Parrett and senior fullback Justin Johnson (Midland, Mich. / Midland) were named to the All-Tournament team as the Scots finished with the second-best record of the four involved teams. Canlas and Parrett led Alma in goals, shots and shots on goal, while Johnson was part of a defense that allowed three goals in two games including holding tournament champion Centre under its goal per game average.
Kornell Hilliard scored for the Golden Eagles. Goalkeeper Jude Louis made one save on three shots.
Alma is now 2-2 on the year; Spalding is 4-1.
How it Happened
- Parrett started the scoring in the 11th minute with an unassisted goal. Hilliard responded with the game-tying goal nine minutes later.
- Canlas scored in the 78th minute to break the tie on a penalty kick.
- Garrison Mast is second in the MIAA in save percentage at 82 percent and third in saves with 14.
- Spalding outshot Alma 15 to seven. The Golden Eagles also had seven corner kicks to Alma's two.
- The game was relatively clean - only five fouls were called for each team. But Mirza Ugarak was given a yellow card in the 57th minute.
Alma has its home opener on Saturday (Sept. 15) at 1 p.m. against Transylvania University.