Decatur, Ill. - The Alma College men's soccer team suffered a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Millikin on Sunday (Sept. 2) evening. Sophomore midfielder Nick Stander (Macomb Twp. Mich. / Dakota) scored his first career goal and junior goalkeeper Garrison Mast (Grand Haven, Mich. / Grand Haven) recorded his first career assist. Mast also made two saves in net.
Bradyn Nokes and Trey Knighton each scored for the Big Blue. Austin Taylor assisted on both goals. Keeper Isaac Hopper saved six shots.
Alma is now 1-1 on the young season while Millikin moves to 2-0.
How it Happened
- Nokes' goal began the scoring in the 31st minute. Taylor had a long throw-in toward the box that Nokes got his head on and past Mast in net.
- Eight minutes later, a throw-in by Taylor ended in another Millikin goal. Knighton took the throw in on his foot and shot from 15 yards out in front of the net to take a 2-0 lead.
- Alma got on the board in the 66th minute after Millikin was called for an offside. Mast sent a long free kick into the scoring area where it was received by Stander who shot past Hopper.
- Alma got four shots off after Stander's goal, but only one reached the net, a save on a header from Kyle Farmer (Greenville, Mich. / Greenville).
- Millikin's Ethan Wade and Austin Taylor were given yellow cards in the final three minutes of the game.
- The game was evenly matched on the stat sheet. Both teams had 15 shots, but Alma had the lead in shots on goal, 7-4. Millikin led in fouls, 12-10, and both teams took four corner kicks.
Alma will play in the 29th Annual Centre College Bob Allen Classic next weekend. It squares off against Spalding on Friday (Sept. 7) at 5:30 p.m. and Centre on Saturday (Sept. 8) at 7:30 p.m.