Greenville, Ill. - The Alma College men's soccer team opened its season with a 2-0 victory at Greenville College on Friday (August 31) evening. Junior forward Kyle Farmer (Greenville, Mich. / Greenville) scored both goals for the Scots, his first goals since the 2016 season. Junior midfielder Brian Ganton (Williamston, Mich. / Williamston) added an assist on Farmer's first goal and junior Noah Canlas (Naperville, Ill. / Naperville Central) helped on the second. Junior goalkeeper Garrison Mast (Grand Haven, Mich. / Grand Haven) saved all five of the shots he faced.
How It Happened
- Farmer's first goal came in the 22nd minute. His second came in the 47th.
- Kyle Farmer tallied three goals as a freshman two years ago; he scored two goals in this game alone.
- Four yellow cards were handed out: three to the Panthers and one to Alma's Connor McCain (Grand Rapids, Mich. / Forest Hills Central).
- Farmer led all players in shots on goal with three. Noah Canlas and Hebren Hein (Jackson, Mich. / Jackson) also had three shots, though only one of their six total forced a save by Greenville's keeper.
- The Panthers were called for 15 fouls in the game, eight of which came in the second half after Alma took a two-goal lead.
- Brian Ganton had as many assists in this game as he did entering the game.
- Greenville outshot Alma 14-12 overall and 7-3 in the second half, though the Scots had more corner kicks - four to Greenville's one.
Alma's next game is Sunday, Sept. 2 at Millikin University (IL). The match is set to start at 6 p.m. The Scots and the Big Blue played to a 1-1 tie in last year's season opener.