Alma, Mich. - Noah Canlas (Naperville, Ill. / Naperville Central) scored from 30 yards out with 1:10 remaining in the first overtime period to give the Alma College men's soccer team a 1-0 win over Hope College on Senior Day (Oct. 25). The win keeps the Scots alive for a potential postseason berth.
Alma is now 3-8-2 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association and 3-11-3 overall while Hope falls to 6-5-2 and 7-8-2.
- Canlas got the ball roughly 35 yards out square-on with the goal. He took a dribble in and fired a shot to the upper right corner of the net for the game-winning goal and his second of the season.
- Alma had two chances to score at the end of regulation. Canlas sent a header towards the net in the 82nd minute but it was just high of the crossbar. Kyle Farmer (Greenville, Mich. / Greenville) was positioned at the near post in the 84th minute and one-timed a cross just wide of the net.
- Garrison Mast (Grand Haven, Mich. / Grand Haven) made a leaping save in the 68th minute on a shot by Hope's Christian Dault, who had a clear look at the net.
- There were a combined 35 shots in the game, 16 of which were taken by Alma.
- The Scots stopped a total of 10 corner kicks by Hope in the contest.
- Mast made four saves in the game. He leads the conference in saves with 82.
- Canlas had a game-high five shots and two on goal.
- Both Alma's Kyle Costigan (East Tawas, Mich. / Tawas Area) and Hope's James Reymann were given yellow cards at 43:45 after a hard tackle by Reymann and an ensuing scrum.
Alma plays its final game of the season on Saturday, Oct. 28, at Trine.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director, (989) 463-7436