Alma, Mich. - The Alma College men's soccer team kicked off its season on Friday (Sept. 1) evening with a 1-1 tie against Millikin. Freshman forward Kyle Salisbury (Lansing, Mich./Grand Ledge) scored the Scots' only goal in the 76th minute, lobbing the ball over the head of Millikin keeper Trevor Creek, to tie the game at one.
Sophomore keeper Garrison Mast (Grand Haven, Mich./Grand Haven) stopped five shots on six attempts in the game.
- Millikin took a 1-0 lead after six minutes when Trey Knighton slid one past Mast in net.
- Two Big Blue players were given yellow cards in the game. They came in the 58th and 62nd minutes.
- Salisbury's goal came from the right side of the net from roughly 20 yards out. The keeper came out of the net to play an earlier ball which allowed Salisbury to chip it in over him.
- Each team had a chance to win the game at the end of regulation. Noah Canlas (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) ripped a screaming shot that went wide of the net in the 89th minute. Millikin turned around and got a header on goal in the 90th minute, but it was stopped by Mast.
- This is the third straight season opener where a freshman has scored for the Scots, the previous two being Brian Ganton (Williamston, Mich./Williamston) and Sam Falardeau (Mason, Mich./Mason).
- Alma took eight corner kicks to Millikin's two.
- Twenty-three fouls were committed in the game.
The Scots remain at home for a game against Aquinas on Tuesday, Sept. 5. Alma beat Aquinas 1-0 last year on a goal by Canlas and a clean sheet by Mast.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director (989) 463-7436