Grand Rapids, Mich. –The Alma College men's lacrosse team (7-9, 3-2 MIAA) won, 7-6, over the Calvin College Knights (9-7, 2-3 MIAA) on Friday at Zuidema Field. Junior attacker Chase Hunyadi (Pepper Pike, Ohio / University School) scored a game-high four goals to lead the Scots.
Both teams scored four goals in the first quarter until a defensive battle broke out. Alma took the lead with two scores in the second period and added one more in the third. The Knights were able to score two late in the fourth to cut the lead to one, but the Scots were able to shut down a last chance attack to seal the victory.
Alma now moves all alone into third place currently in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association standings with one game left in the regular season. Calvin drops out of the playoff picture, for now, as they sit in fifth place in the conference.
How It Happened
- Calvin was able to get on the scoreboard first with an opening minute goal. Hunyadi responded soon after with a score assisted by junior attacker Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilbourne). Alley would find the back of the net, extending his season-long goal streak to 16 games, to make it a 2-2 game. The Scots took their first lead of the game just over a minute later with another goal by Hunyadi.
- Hunyadi reached his fourth hat trick on the season with a goal that made it 4-2 with 6:40 remaining in the opening quarter. Calvin was able to notch two scores late in the quarter to tie the game.
- After more than 10 minutes of no goals either way, sophomore attacker Tommy Quinlan (Orland Park, Ill. / Carl J. Sandberg) gave Alma back the lead with a score assisted by Hunyadi. Junior midfielder Tom Needham (Saline, Mich. / Saline) then made it a two-goal game with just over two minutes remaining in the half.
- The game would go another long stretch of no goals until Hunyadi scored with under five minutes remaining in the third quarter. Alma's defense kept the Knights off the scoreboard for over 42 minutes straight from late in the first until they hit the back of the net with 3:22 left in the contest.
- The Knights would cut the margin to one with 29 seconds left on the clock. After winning the faceoff Calvin took a timeout to set up a play to try and force the game to overtime. But the Scots defense held strong not allowing any good shots on net until the clock finally hit zero.
- Senior goalie Cameron Stelljes (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) stopped eight shots on the night. The Scots allowed a season-low 14 shots on net.
- Alma was 19-20 on clear attempts in the game.
- Both teams won eight faceoffs.
The final regular season game awaits for the Scots as they host Trine University (IN) on Saturday, April 27 at 1 p.m. Both teams are looking to make the four-team conference tournament field that starts the week after.