Adrian, Mich. – The Alma College men's lacrosse team beat the Adrian College Bulldogs Tuesday night, 25-11, in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association matchup.
Senior midfielder Jared Nycz (Buffalo, N.Y. / Iroquois) scored a career-high eight goals while adding four assists to tie a career-high 12 points on the night. Freshman goalie Michael Donahue (Cleveland, Ohio / St. Ignatius) made 10 saves in his second career start.
The Scots move up to 6-8 on the season with a 2-1 record in MIAA play. Tonight's game was the Bulldogs' conference opener and they drop to 3-6 overall.
How It Happened
- Nycz got his career night going fast by scoring just over two minutes into the game. After an Adrian goal, Nycz scored the Scots' second goal to kick start a 5-0 run that made it 6-1 Alma late in the quarter. Junior attacker Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilboune) netted one with just 12 seconds left on the clock to give the Scots a 7-2 to lead at the end of the opening period.
- Alma started the second with a 5-0 run with two scores from both Alley and junior midfielder Tom Needham (Saline, Mich. / Saline). The run put the Scots up by 10 and then was cut to eight on back-to-back man up goals by the Bulldogs before halftime.
- The Scots went right back to work with a goal coming in the opening minute off of Nycz's stick that was assisted by freshman attacker Timothy Gearig (Vicksburg, Mich. / Vicksburg). Nycz owned the third quarter with four scores in the period including one with 45 seconds left that gave Alma a 19-7 advantage and set a new career-high in a single game for the senior with his sixth of the night.
- 12 seconds into the fourth, sophomore attacker Tommy Quinlan (Orland Park, Ill. / Carl J. Sandberg) found the back of net on the man advantage. Back-to-back scores by Nycz pushed the lead up to 13. Nycz then earned his 12thpoint on the night by setting up Gearig to put the Scots up, 23-9. Quinlan and fellow sophomore attacker Quinton Bortel (Midland, Mich. / H.H. Dow) scored the final two Alma goals of the game.
- Nycz surpassed 300 career points tonight. The Buffalo, N.Y. native is the first player in program history to do so.
- As a team, the Scots set season-highs for shooting percentage (51.0) and shots on goal percentage (69.4) while also tying a season-high for goals and faceoff wins (17).
- Gearig had a career-high six assists and 10 points in the contest.
- Quinlan earned his first career hat trick with all three scores coming in the second half.
- The Alma defense shut down Adrian's Chris French, the conference leader in goals per game, to only one score tonight while allowing only two of his seven shots to get on net.
- After losing their first four meetings with the Bulldogs, the Scots have come out victorious in four straight games against Adrian.
The Scots will look for three wins in a row on Saturday (April 13) at Albion College. Faceoff scheduled for 1 p.m.