Alma, Mich. – The Alma College men's lacrosse team fell, 16-11, to John Carroll University (OH) on Saturday afternoon at Bahlke Field. Both senior midfielder Jared Nycz (Buffalo, N.Y. / Iroquois) and freshman attacker Timothy Gearig (Vicksburg, Mich. / Vicksburg) scored hat tricks for the Scots. Alma drops below .500 on the season with a 4-5 record while the Blue Streaks improve to 4-2.
How It Happened
- The Scots struck first with a goal by Gearig in the opening minute. Sophomore attacker Quinton Bortel (Midland, Mich. / H.H. Dow) found Gearig on the opposite side of the field and the freshman buried it in the bottom of the net. The Blue Streaks would respond with six straight goals for the rest of the period. John Carroll unloaded 20 shots in the first quarter, 12 of them on net.
- The Blue Streaks would continue to extend their lead to start the second until Nycz worked his way out from behind the John Carroll net and score top shelf for his first goal of the game. Back-to-back goals by junior midfielder Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) and Gearig cut the lead to six but the Blue Streaks would respond with back-to-back goals to lead by eight at halftime.
- Down 10 in the third, Nycz passed it to Bailey who slid underneath a defender and beat the netminder for his second score. In the final minute of the period with a man up advantage, Nycz sped his way from one side of the field to the other from behind the net and scored mid-air to make it a nine-goal game heading to the fourth.
- After giving up a score with just over 10 minutes remaining, the Scots would end the game on a 5-0 run. Bortel scored his first unassisted to start the run. Then junior attacker Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilbourne) extended his goal streak to nine games to start the season with the helper coming from Gearig.
- Gearig hit the three-goal mark with just under three minutes remaining, Bortel scored with a man advantage and Nycz closed out the scoring for the day.
- Nycz tied the all-time program scoring record with his three goals today. The senior and Daniel Buchy '18 both have 119 goals in their Alma careers.
- After scoring only three in his freshman season, Bortel has back-to-back multi-goal games for the first time in his career.
- The Scots won the turnover battle against the Blue Streaks, 19-16.
After playing five games in 10 days, Alma will get much needed week off before their next matchup. DePauw University (OH) comes to town for a 2 p.m. faceoff at Bahlke Field on Saturday (Mar. 23).