Tiffin, Ohio – The Alma College men's lacrosse team (4-4) won, 16-5, over Heidelberg University (2-3) at the Student Princes' Hoernemann Stadium Wednesday night. Freshman attacker Timothy Gearig (Vicksburg, Mich. / Vicksburg) led the way with a career-high five goals.
Gearig's third of the night put the Scots into a comfortable 7-1 lead midway through the second quarter. After Heidelberg cut the lead to five early in the third quarter, Alma went on a 6-1 run and never looked back.
How It Happened
- The first two goals were identical on the stat sheet with Gearig scoring both and junior attacker Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio / Worthington Kilbourne) assisting on both. Junior midfielder Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) put the Scots up 3-0. Sophomore midfielder Connor Gilbert (Battle Creek, Mich. / Harper Creek) finished out the first quarter scoring with his first of the season.
- Gearig, Alley and Bailey combined to score the four Scots goals in the second. Alma held an 8-2 advantage heading into halftime.
- After the Scots and Student Princes exchanged scores to start the second half, sophomore attacker Tommy Quinlan (Orland Park, Ill. / Carl J. Sandberg) scored his first of the season. Bailey added two more goals while senior midfielder Jared Nycz (Buffalo, N.Y. / Iroquois) stuffed his first of the night late in the period to make it 13-4.
- Gearig hit a new career-high with the first goal of the fourth quarter. Freshman long stick midfielder Evan Zarotney (Lansing, Mich. / Lansing Catholic) earned his first career point with the assist on Gearig's score.
- After the Scots made it 15-5 with just over four minutes remaining, senior goalie Cameron Stelljes (Okemos, Mich. / Okemos) came out of the game after making 14 saves. Freshman goalie Michael Donahue (Cleveland, Ohio / St. Ignatius) finished out the game in net for the Scots, keeping Heidelberg off the board.
- Bailey scored four for the second night in a row. Bailey and Alley both extended their season-long goal streak to eight.
- The Scots scored a season-high four man-up goals on eight opportunities tonight. Bailey leads the team with five man-up goals this season including one against the Student Princes.
- Alma was successful on 22 of their 24 clear attempts Wednesday. They have gone 43 of 46 in their past two games.
- After setting a new season-high for goals last night with 25, the Scots tied for second most this season with 16 against Heidelberg.
- Alma earns back-to-back double digits wins for the first time since March 2017.
Scots get a short rest of two days before their next game on Saturday (Mar. 16). Alma will host John Carroll University (OH) for a 2 p.m. faceoff.