Angola, Ind. - The Alma College men's lacrosse team concluded the 2018 regular-season with a 7-3 loss to Trine University (IN) on Saturday afternoon at Zollner Stadium. With the loss, the Scots finish the regular-season with a 7-10 overall record and a 4-3 mark in the MIAA to place fourth.
The Scots now advance to the MIAA Tournament for the fourth straight season and will travel to Hope College on Wednesday, May 2, in a rematch from last year's semifinals.
Junior Jared Nycz (Elma, N.Y./Iriquois) had a goal and an assist to lead Alma, and became the first player in program history to tally 100 career goals and assists with his 100th career marker. Sophomore Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich./Sault Area) and senior Daniel Buchy (Springboro, Ohio/Springboro) also scored.
How It Happened
- Trine opened up a 2-0 lead over the Scots in the first quarter, scoring twice in the final five minutes of the frame.
- Alma pulled within one goal halfway through the second quarter on a goal by Trevor Bailey, but the Thunder regained a two-goal advantage with a Neil Orr score with 3:47 left in the half to go up by a 3-1 margin at the break.
- In the third quarter, the Scots attempted a comeback, scoring twice in 20 seconds. Trine went up by a 4-1 margin early in the frame before Jared Nycz and Daniel Buchy scored back-to-back goals, leaving Alma trailing, 4-3, entering the final quarter.
- Trine sealed the win with three goals in the fourth quarter.
- Jared Nycz scored his 100th career goal, becoming the first player in program history to record 100 goals and 100 assists. Nycz has 100-120–220 totals in 52 career games.
The Scots will travel to Holland, Mich., for the semifinals of the MIAA Tournament on Wednesday, May 2. The winner will advance to the MIAA Tournament Championship on Saturday, May 5. Albion College and Trine University are competing in the other semifinal.