Alma, Mich. - The Alma College men's lacrosse team pumped a school-record 26 goals past Adrian College on Tuesday night (April 10) as the Scots rolled to a 26-2 victory at Bahlke Field.
Sophomore Chase Hunyadi (Pepper Pike, Ohio/University School) led all players with six goals, while three other players - junior Jared Nycz (Elma, N.Y./Iriquois), sophomore Tom Needham (Saline, Mich./Saline), and senior Austen Irrer (Midland, Mich./Midland) - recorded hat tricks, scoring three goals each. Irrer led all players with seven points, added four assists.
Sophomore Hank Wickley (Petaluma, Calif./Casa Grande) two saves on Adrian's four shots as the Scots amassed a school-record 68 shots.
How It Happened
- Alma opened the game with seven straight goals to take a 7-0 lead with 8:34 to play in the first quarter. Adrian scored a man-up goal to make the score 7-1 before the Scots went on a 10-goal run to go up by a 17-1 margin late in the third quarter.
- The Bulldogs found the net while a man-down to end the third quarter before Alma scored nine times in the fourth, including twice with a man up.
- Alma's 26 goals marked a school record, surpassing the 25 scored last season against Northland University (WI).
- The Scots 68 shots topped the previous record of 67 from last season's game against Heidelberg University (OH).
- Alma tied a school record with four man-up goals.
- The Scots' 24-goal victory marked the largest margin of victory in program history. The old mark was 18, set in 2013.
- With his three goals tonight, Jared Nycz now has 97 for his career. He is three away from becoming the second player in program history score 100. He would also be the first player in program history to have both 100 career goals and assists.
- Chase Hunyadi's six goals tied a career-high.
- Tom Needham recorded his first career hat trick with a career-high three goals.
- Tommy Quinlan scored the first two goals of his career.
- Austen Irrer tied a career-high with three goals and tallied a career-high four assists. His seven points was also a career-high.
- Quinton Bortel's two goals marked a career-high.
Alma will return to Bahlke Field on Saturday, April 14, to host Albion College. The Scots are 0-7 all-time against Albion, and have faced the Britons for the MIAA Tournament championship in each of the last two seasons. The opening face off is scheduled for 7 p.m.