University Heights, Ohio - The Alma College men's lacrosse team suffered an 18-7 defeat at the hands of John Carroll University on Wednesday (March 21) night at Don Shula Stadium.
Sophomore Chase Hunyadi (Pepper Pike, Ohio/University School) paced Alma (2-7 overall) with four points on two goals and two assists, while junior Jared Nycz (Elma, N.Y./Iroquois) and sophomore Trevor Bailey (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich./Sault Area) both netted a pair of markers.
John Carroll (4-2) was led by Skyler Blake's six goals as the Blue Streaks outshot the Scots 49-21.
How It Happened
- John Carroll got on the board 1:22 into the game but the Scots responded just under 20 seconds later when Daniel Buchy scored off a pass from Connor Alley to tie the game at 1-1. The Blue Streaks answered with three straight markers, taking a 4-1 lead with 5:52 to play in the first quarter. Jared Nycz pulled the Scots within two goals four seconds later of a pass from Chase Hunyadi, but John Carroll scored three more times in the opening frame to grab a 7-2 lead.
- The Blue Streaks went up by an 8-2 margin 5:15 into the second quarter, but the Scots responded with a man-up opportunity as Trevor Bailey scored off a Connor Alley assists to make the score 8-3 with 7:07 left to play in the half. John Carroll ended the half with a pair of goals to go into the break up by a 10-3 margin.
- John Carroll built a 10-goal lead 3:20 into the third quarter, scoring three straight markers to go ahead by a 13-3 margin. Bailey, Hunyadi and Nycz scored for Alma during the third to try to close the gap, but two more goals by John Carroll put the Scots down 15-6 after 45 minutes.
- After the Blue Streaks scored twice in the fourth quarter, Hunyadi netted Alma's seventh goal with 2:52 to play in the game. John Carroll scored 51 seconds left to round out the win and take an 18-7 advantage.
- Connor Alley tied a season-high with two assists and extended his point streak to three games, posting 2-3—5 totals during that span.
- Jared Nycz scored a season-high two goals for the second straight game and has scored in three straight contests. He has also found the net in all but one game this season.
- Daniel Buchy extended his goal scoring streak to three games with a goal.
- Chase Hunyadi posted his fourth straight multi-point game and scored two goals for the third time in four games. Hunyadi has registered two or more points in seven of his nine games this season.
- Trevor Bailey has now scored two or more goals in six of his nine games this year.
The Scots continue their five-game road trip and wrap up non-conference play on Saturday, March 24, traveling to DePauw University (IN) for a 2 p.m. contest.