Columbus, Ohio - The Alma College men's lacrosse team suffered a 13-6 loss to Capital University (OH) on Saturday (March 17) as the Scots opened a five-game road trip.
Juniro Jared Nycz (Elma, N.Y./Iroquois) scored two goal and added two assists to lead the Scots (2-6 overall), while four other players scored as Alma was limited to just 18 shots. Junior Cam Stelljes (Okemos, Mich./Okemos) made 11 saves as Capital peppered him with 40 shots, 24 of which were on net.
C.J. Hughes scored a game-high six goals for the Crusaders (2-3).
How it Happened
- Capital opened the game with a 2-0 lead before the Scots tied it up on back-to-back goals by Janis Grigans and Chase Hunyadi, making the score 2-2 with 8:38 to play in the opening quarter. The Crusaders scored twice in the final 5:06 of the frame to lead, 4-2, after 15 minutes.
- In the second quarter, Capital maintained its two-goal advantage, trading scores with the Scots and entering halftime with a 6-4 lead.
- Capital began to pull away in the third quarter, scoring four of the frame's first five goals to take a 10-5 lead. Jared Nycz found the net with 17 seconds left to cut the deficit to four goals, but Capital would outscore the Scots, 3-0, in the fourth quarter to seal the victory.
- Connor Alley has scored in back-to-back games and in six of the last seven contests.
- Jared Nycz posted his second multi-goal game of the year with two markers. He has now scored in seven of his eight appearances this season.
- Chase Hunyadi has found the net in three straight games.
- Janis Grigans netted his first career goal.
- Jake Ellens extended his point streak to seven games and has recorded an assist in each of the last five contests.
The Scots continue their five-game road trip with a trip to John Carroll University (OH) on Wednesday, March 21. The opening face-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.