Delaware, Ohio - The Alma College men's lacrosse team opened a two-game road trip in Ohio on Thursday (March 8) evening, falling to Ohio Wesleyan by a 17-4 margin at Shelby Stadium.
Junior Jake Ellens (Cadillac, Mich./Cadillac) registered a goal and an assist for the Scots (1-4 overall), while sophomore transfer Levi Petersen (Holt, Mich./Holt) scored his first goal in an Alma uniform. Junior Cam Stelljes (Okemos, Mich./Okemos) made a career-high 22 saves in goal for the Scots as Alma was outshot by the Battling Bishops, 53-19.
Ohio Wesleyan (5-1) was led by Luke Leyden's three goals and two assists, while four other players registered two goals each.
How It Happened
- Ohio Wesleyan opened the game with a 2-0 lead before Jake Ellens scored to make the score 2-1 with 9:32 to play in the opening quarter.
- The Bishops went on a run from there, scoring eight straight to gain an 8-1 advantage.
- Levi Peterson found the back of the net with four seconds remaining in the half to cut the deficit to 8-2 at the break.
- In the third quarter, Ohio Wesleyan outscored Alma 5-0 to open up a 13-2 lead.
- The Bishops added two more goals to extend their run to seven straight scores before the Scots netted a pair of goals, with Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio/Worthington Kilbourne) and Jared Nycz (Elma, N.Y./Iriquois) scoring 47 seconds apart.
- Ohio Wesleyan responded with a pair of goals to end the game.
- This was the first-ever meeting between Alma and Ohio Wesleyan
- Connor Alley extended his goal-scoring streak to four games.
- Jared Nycz has scored a goal in every game this season.
- Jake Ellens has scored in four straight games.
- Cameron Stelljes' 22 saves were one shy of the school record of 23, set by Daric Mueller during the 2012 campaign.
The Scots will wrap up their road trip on Saturday, March 10 with a 2 p.m. matchup at Baldwin Wallace University.