Virginia Beach, Va. - The Alma College men's lacrosse team picked up its first win of the season on Sunday (March 4), defeating host Virginia Wesleyan University by a score of 22-14.
Sophomore Chase Hunyadi (Pepper Pike, Ohio/University School) scored six goals while junior Jake Ellens (Cadillac, Mich./Cadillac) netted a career-high five goals in the win. Hunyadi added three assists for a team-high nine points. Sophomore Connor Alley (Powell, Ohio/Worthington Kilbourne) pumped in four goals as Alma (1-3 overall) scored 10 goals in the second period an route to victory. Sophomore Trevor Bailey (Saint Ste. Marie, Mich./Sault Area) also notched a hat trick with three goals.
Joe Couture led the Marlins (2-3) with four goals as Virginia Wesleyan attempted a comeback in the final quarter, scoring six times to close the gap.
How it Happened
- Alma opened the game with a 3-0 lead before the Marlins fought back to tie the score with three goals of their own. Alma added two more markers in the opening period to lead, 5-4, after 15 minutes.
- The Scots pumped in 10 goals in the second period - including seven straight - to take a 15-6 lead heading into the break.
- Alma built a 10-goal lead in the third quarter on three occasions and built an 11-goal advantage early in the fourth quarter before Virginia Wesleyan scored four times to close the gap to 19-12 with 9:10 to play. Sophomore goalie Hank Wickley was replaced by junior Cam Stelljes, who held the Marlins to three goals in the final nine minutes of the game and secured the victory.
- Tommy Huckle was credited with a career-high 11 ground balls - becoming the eighth player in program history to record 11 or more ground balls in a single game. He also won 21 face-offs - second-most in school history and three shy of the school record.
- Alma reached the 20-goal mark for the fifth time in the history of the program.
- This was the first-ever meeting between the Scots and Virginia Wesleyan. The programs are connected through Assistant Coach Adam Nycz, a 2012 graduate of VWU who was an All-American for the Marlins in 2012.
- Connor Alley scored a career-high four goals and extended his goal-scoring streak to three games.
- Jared Nycz has scored in every game this season.
- Chase Hunyadi scored a season-high six goals and has notched two or more goals in three of his four appearances this season. His nine points marked a season-high.
- Cole Gordon has scored in back-to-back games.
- Jake Ellens netted a career-high five goals and registered a career-high seven points with two assists.
- Trevor Bailey notched his second hat trick of the season and has scored two or more goals three time this year. He has also found the net in every game.
The Scots will travel to Ohio Wesleyan University on Thursday, March 8, for the first of two games next week in Ohio. The opening face-off is scheduled for 5 p.m.