Alma, Mich. - The Alma College men's basketball team fell to Calvin College 112-74 on Monday (Feb. 4) evening. The Knights shot a scorching 60-percent from the field and 68-percent from three-point range, making 19 of their 28 attempts from deep.
Brandon Rake (Whitehall, Mich. / Whitehall) led Alma (4-17, 3-7 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association) with 19 points on 9-of-12 shooting to go along with nine rebounds and two blocks. He also hit his first career three-pointer. Ryan Stevens ( Lowell, Mich. / Lowell ) tallied 14 points and six assists, while Steven Harvey (Grand Rapids, Mich. / Forest Hills Eastern) notched nine points and eight rebounds.
Calvin's (11-10, 6-4 MIAA) Derrick DeVries scored a game-high 25 points. Carlos Amoros-Gutierrez scored 19 off the bench, including all five of his shots from behind the arc. Thad Shymanski and Tony DeWitte each had 18 points.
How It Happened
- Alma led the game to start, jumping out to a six-point lead after three minutes. Soon after, though, Calvin would go on a 12-0 run and wouldn't look back. The Scots stayed within striking distance, getting back to within six points after a layup from Harvey, but Calvin kept its foot on the gas and extended its lead to 20 by the break. The Knights made half of their shots from the field in the first half, including seven of 11 threes.
- Calvin shot even better in the second half — 70-percent from both the field and three-point range. The Knights couldn't miss while, on the other end, Alma struggled to create on offense. The Scots turned the ball over six times and made 44-percent of their shots in the second half, though Rake made all six of his attempts.
- Brandon Rake also set a new career-high in field goal percentage (9-of-12, 75-percent).
- Isaiah Williamson (Sebewaing, Mich. / Unionville-Sebewaing Area) scored a career-high seven points and tied a career-high 13 minutes.
- Steven Harvey is averaging 9.8 rebounds in his last four games.
- Alma shot 79-percent from the free-throw line, its best free-throw percentage in its last four games.
- Alma outscored Calvin 40-24 in points in the paint.
The Scots host Olivet on Wednesday (Feb. 6) at 7:30 p.m. Alma came back from down 21 at Olivet earlier this season but ultimately fell 84-80.