Olivet, Mich. - The Alma College men's basketball team erased a 21 point deficit against the Olivet Comets on Saturday (Jan. 12) evening, but couldn't complete the comeback, falling 84-80.
All five starters scored in double-figures for the Scots (3-12, 2-2 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association), led by Cole Kleiver (Williamston, Mich. / Williamston) who had 18. Kevin Gamble (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant Sacred Heart) had 10 points and nine rebounds, while Ryan Stevens (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) posted 16 points and seven assists.
Trevor Manuel and Dee Roberts each tallied a game-high 21 points on 15-of-26 shooting combined. Tracy Edmond notched 17 points, 10 assists, eight rebounds and six steals.
How It Happened
- The Scots got out to an early lead within the first five minutes as both teams struggled from the field. They combined to shoot 3-of-13.
- Alma led 7-6 at the 14:51 mark. At that point, Olivet had made one of its five shots from the field. From that point on, the Comets shot 19-of-23 and led by as much as 21.
- Over the final 6:10 of the first half, Alma outscored Olivet 23-14, cutting the deficit to 12 at the half. Woodruff led the Scots during the run with nine points, making three of four threes.
- The score hovered around 12 to 16 points throughout the first 12 minutes of the second half until Alma's three-point shooting started to get hot. The Scots got to within four points as it hit four of seven threes over a three-minute span.
- Now down five with 31 seconds left, Edmond drove to the rim and drew a foul on Gamble, but missed both attempts. Kleiver came back on the next possession with a long straight-away three with 18 seconds left to get the Scots to within two.
- Forced to foul, Alma put Roberts on the line needing a miss, but didn't get it. The Scots missed two three-point attempts in the closing seconds that would have cut the deficit to one.
- This is the first time all five Alma starters have scored in double-figures this season.
- Alma's second-half comeback was fueled by eight three-pointers and 12-of-12 made free throws.
- The Scots made 14 threes in the game, the third-most of any game this season.
- Alma went 12-for-12 from the free throw line in the second half. It took only two attempts in the first frame and missed them both.
- Trevor Manuel, Tracy Edmond and John McAdoo played all 40 minutes for the Comets. Olivet played just eight players, two of which combined for seven minutes.
Alma hosts Hope College on Wednesday (Jan. 16) at 7:30 p.m. The Flying Dutchmen are 2-2 in the conference, beating Kalamazoo and Adrian and losing to Calvin and Trine.