De Pere, Wisc. - The Alma College men's basketball team dropped the first game of the 2018 Nicolet National Bank Holiday Tournament on Friday (Dec. 28), 61-47 to St. Norbert College.
Steven Harvey (Grand Rapids, Mich. / Forest Hills Eastern) led the Scots with 15 points on five made three-pointers. Ryan Stevens (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) posted six points, seven rebounds and six assists.
Jared Murphy led all scorers with 19 points. Joe Ciriacks was also in double figures with 11 points. Connor Curtis and Joe Lemon had 13 and 11 rebounds, respectively.
The game was within single-digits for the entire first half, though the Green Knights led most of the time. St. Norbert would pull away over the course of the second half; its biggest lead was 19.
How it Happened
- Alma held a brief lead at the beginning of the game after Cole Kleiver (Williamston, Mich. / Williamston), Kevin Gamble (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant Sacred Heart) and Stevens each sank buckets, giving the Scots a 6-2 lead. St. Norbert scored the next eight points and 15 of the next 17, including four threes.
- After being down by as many as nine, Alma tied the game after three three-pointers by Harvey, forcing a St. Norbert time-out after the second make, but Alma couldn't take the lead.
- The Green Knights pushed the lead back up to seven as the first half winded down, and Alma again closed the gap down to three at the break after a layup from Matt Lark (Middleville, Mich. / Thornapple Kellogg).
- The Scots struggled in the second half, converting just six field goals. Their first make was a three from Harvey at the 15:40 mark to cut the deficit to six.
- After Kleiver sank a three to get to within seven points, St. Norbert made three unanswered threes to make it 51-35. Another jumper would make it an 18 point game, and the Green Knights would hit a three to make it a 19-point game in the waning moments.
- Alma forced St. Norbert into 15 turnovers, but could only score four points off of them.
- The Green Knights made 11 three-pointers out of 35 attempts (31-percent).
- Alma was outrebounded 41-29, including 17 to 6 on the offensive boards. St. Norbert scored 22 second-chance points.
- Amari Hudson (Highland Park, Mich. / Detroit Edison Public School Academy) scores four points and grabbed three rebounds in his first action of the year.
Alma will face St. Scholastica at 5 p.m. on Saturday (Dec. 19) in the consolation game of the 2018 Nicolet National Bank Holiday Tournament.