Kalamazoo, Mich. - The Alma College men's basketball team opened the conference portion of its schedule on Wednesday (Jan. 3) night, using a stingy defense to defeat Kalamazoo College, 78-43, at the Anderson Athletic Center.
Senior Kevin Scheibert (Sanford, Mich./Sanford-Meridian) led the Scots (4-8 overall, 1-0 MIAA) with 13 points and collected nine rebounds as four players reached double-figures. Sophomore Ryan Stevens (Lowell, Mich./Lowell) also collected nine rebounds and dished out a a game-high seven assists.
Sophomore Luke Lamoreaux (Sterling Heights, Mich./Stevenson) and freshman Jason Majerle (Rockford, Mich./Rockford) each tallied three steals as the Scots recorded a season-high 17 thefts while forcing Kalamazoo into 23 turnovers and holding the Hornets to .333 percent shooting from the floor.
Kalamazoo (5-7, 0-1 MIAA) was led by Jeremiah Vincent's 12 points.
How It Happened
- Alma took control of the game mid-way through the first half. Tied 10-10 eight minutes into the game, the Scots finished the half outscoring Kalamazoo 20-9 to lead by a 30-19 margin at the break.
- In the second half, the Scots continued to pour it on, outscoring the Hornets 48-24.
- Alma's 17 steals marked a season-high.
- Arthell Rosquist tied season-highs with four points and 1 steal in three minutes of action.
- Luke Lamoreaux matched a career-best with three steals. He also reached double-figures in points for the third time in four games.
- Ryan Stevens tied a career-high with nine rebounds.
- Jason Majerle posted a season-high three steals.
- Kevin Gamble matched a season-high with seven rebounds. He also scored 11 points and has posted double-figures in five of his last six outings.
- Doug Bradfield had a six-game double-figure scoring streak snapped, netting nine points, and recorded a season-high two steals.
Alma returns to Art Smith Arena for the first time in nearly a month, hosting Calvin College on Saturday, Jan. 10. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m.