Rock Island, Ill. - The Alma College men's basketball team came up short against No. 2 Augustana College on Saturday (Nov. 18) night, falling to the Vikings by a 65-53 margin at the Roy J. Carver Center.
The Scots (0-2 overall) were led by sophomore Preston Laketa (Concord, Mich./Hanover-Horton), who came off the bench to score a team-high 13 points, hitting three of his five three point attempts. Laketa was the only Alma player in double figures.
Senior Kevin Scheibert (Sanford, Mich./Sanford-Meridian) grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds in 36 minutes of action, while sophomore Ryan Stevens (Lowell, Mich./Lowell) posted a game-high seven assists.
Brett Benning scored a game-high 15 points for Augustana (2-0), while Pierson Wofford tallied a game-high 18 boards, including nine offensive rebounds.
How It Happened
- Both teams struggled from the floor in the first half, with Alma hitting only 24 percent of its shots while Augustana was held to 31 percent shooting en route to a 27-19 lead at the break.
- In the second half, the Scots overcame a 13-point deficit, going on a 19-6 run to tie the game at 38-38 with 11:57 to play.
- After a pair of free throws by Pierson Wofford gave Augustana a two-point advantage, Ryan Stevens tied the game at 40-40. Brett Benning put the Viking back up by two, only to be answered by Kevin Scheibert's basket with 10:47 to play to even the score at 42-42.
- The Vikings would regain the lead on their next possession and keep Alma at bay the rest of the way. The Scots kept with one point until Augustana put together an 11-0 run to take a 58-46 lead with 5:31 to play in the game.
- The Scots had a better shooting night than the Vikings, hitting 34.5 percent of their shots compared to 33.8 percent for Augustana.
- The Vikings out rebounded the Scots, 54-34, including 20-6 on the offensive glass.
- Alma shot 46.2 percent in the second half and made 50 percent of its three pointers (5-10) in the final 20 minutes.
- Kevin Scheibert's 11 rebounds marked the first time in his career he has collected 10 or more rebounds.
The Scots continue their season-opening four-game road trip, on Sunday, Nov. 26, returning to the Chicagoland area to face Elmhurst College. The opening tip is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. ET on the campus of Elmhurst College in Elmhurst, Ill.