East Lansing, Mich. - For the second straight season, the Alma College STUNT team finished as the runner-up in the College STUNT Association Division II after the Scots battled their way back to the title game on Sunday (April 29) at Jenison Fieldhouse.
After dispatching Oklahoma Baptist University in an elimination game earlier in the afternoon, the Scots earned a rematch with Davenport, which topped the Scots in the 2017 championship game. The Panthers proved to be too much for Alma as they captured their fourth consecutive STUNT Division II title.
Alma finishes the season with a 16-4 record, with all four losses coming at the hands of the Panthers.
How It Happened
- Alma opened the elimination game against Oklahoma Baptist with three of four points in the partner stunts routines to take a 3-2 advantage after the first quarter.
- In the second quarter, the Scots added four points, winning the first and fourth rounds of pyramids and tosses to go into halftime with a 7-4 advantage.
- OBU closed the gap in the third quarter, outscoring Alma 4-2 and winning rounds two and four of the jumps and tumbling routines to tie the Scots, 8-8, entering the final quarter.
- Alma won the first round of the fourth quarter, 3-2, to regain the lead at 11-10, then took a two-point advantage after winning round two by a 3-2 margin. Leading 14-12, the Scots sealed the victory with a 3-2 win in round three to eliminate the Bison, 17-14.
- In the championship game, Davenport jumped out to a 4-1 lead after the first quarter before each team scored three points in the pyramids and tosses routines to enter halftime with the Panthers holding a 7-4 advantage.
- Davenport outscored the Scots 3-2 in the jumps and tumbles section to gain a 10-6 advantage after three quarters.
- In the fourth quarter, Alma captured the first round with a 3-2 victory to close the gap to 12-9. Davenport won the second round, 3-2, to go ahead by a 15-11 margin before sweeping the final round en route to the championship.