Written by Mason Ippel, Sports Information Student Assistant
Auburndale, Fla. - The Alma College baseball team had its fifth game of the RussMatt Tournament Thursday (Feb. 27). The Scots were the visiting team in a game against Hanover College (IN). Alma pulled out the 7-4 win in extra innings. Joshua Robinson (Dewitt, Mich. / Dewitt) had a day on both sides of the ball. At the plate, he went 3-4 with a walk and 4 RBIs. He also came in as a relief pitcher and got the win.
- Dylan Clark (Tomball, Texas / Tomball Memorial) came out dueling as he whizzed three straight strikes by the first batter. He struck out another batter later in the inning.
- Robinson got the Scots on the board first with a single that scored Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich. / Johannesburg-Lewiston) from second.
- Clark continued his dominance on the mound with two more strikeouts.
- Clark and his beautiful stache forced the Panthers into a 1-2-3 inning.
- Ty Sobczak (Petoskey, Mich. / Petoskey) came in to relieve Clark. The Texas native threw 4.1 innings and gave up 2 earned runs while striking out 6 batters, 4 of them looking.
- The Scots took the lead in the sixth by adding three runs. Avery Carnicom (Woodhaven, Mich. / Woodhaven), Robinson, and Carter Sanderson (Ilderton, Ont. / Central Secondary School) all got RBIs that scored Huff, Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant), and Carnicom, respectively.
- Sobczak wheels and deals to a 1-2-3 inning.
- Zach Schirmer (Bay City, Mich. / Bay City Western) came in to pitch from right field. Trucks replaced the right field position from the DH spot. Schirmer shut down the scoring threat with a strikeout and a fly out.
- Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich. / Standish-Sterling Central) got the Scots started with a two out single through the right side. Coach Crain called a hit and run and Pete Carravallah (Canton, Mich. / Plymouth) executed it perfectly with a single to left. Alma would leave them stranded.
- Hanover tied the game in the bottom of the ninth to send it to extras.
- Huff started the inning off with a single through the left side. Brandon Gallerson (Plano, Texas / Plano Senior) came in as a pinch runner for Carnicom who got walked. Kevin Tuttle (Woodhaven, Mich. / Riverview Gabriel Richard) would load the bases with a single to right center. A wild pitch scored Huff to give Alma the lead. Robinson would extend that lead with a two RBI double.
- Robinson came in from left field to pitch and switched positions with Schirmer.
- Schirmer reentered at pitcher later in the inning and would finish the game.
- Robinson received credit for the win.
- Robinson's 4 RBIs is a career high
- Schirmer would get the save.
- This is the first time on the mound for Robinson and Schirmer in their career.
The Alma College baseball team will play Cabrini University (PA) Friday (Feb. 28) for its sixth game of the RussMatt Tournament. The two teams faced off on day one of the tournament with Alma winning big, 15-5.