Adrian, Mich. – The Alma College baseball team (18-23) loss, 7-5, to No. 10 Adrian College (33-7) in the first game of the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association postseason tournament at the Bulldogs' Nicolay Field.
The Scots got off to a 3-0 lead through the first four innings with junior second baseman Carter Sanderson (Ilderton, Ont. / Central Secondary School) hitting his first career home run in the top of the fourth. The Bulldogs responded with five between the fourth and fifth innings. After Alma tied it up in the sixth, Adrian retook the lead in the seventh and added an insurance run in the eighth.
Adrian moves into the winner's bracket of the double elimination tournament while the Scots will play an elimination game on Thursday.
How It Happened
- Junior catcher and All-MIAA Second Team honoree Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich. / Standish-Sterling Central) led off the game with a double to the left center field gap. After he was moved over to third with a sacrifice bunt by All-MIAA Second Team center fielder Pete Carravallah (Canton, Mich. / Plymouth), junior shortstop Zach Schirmer brought home the game's first run with a sacrifice fly to center.
- Freshman right fielder Noah Hamilton (Fowler, Mich. / Fowler) stepped into the box for his first career postseason at-bat and put one through the middle for a single. The top of the order came up next with Koin being hit by a pitch. Junior first baseman Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) came to the dish with bases loaded and one out and hit a one hopper to the Adrian right fielder that scored Hamilton and gave the Scots a 2-0 lead.
- Sophomore Carson Kempa (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) had the Bulldogs guessing early by shutting them out through the first three innings. A 1-2-3 third inning that included Kempa's second strikeout of the game kept Alma in front by two.
- Sanderson led off in the top of the fourth. He got a hold of one that carried all the way over the high left field wall for a solo blast that made it 3-0. Adrian answered in the bottom half of the inning with three runs of their own. They looked to take the lead but Kempa was able to force a flyout with runners on second and third to end the frame.
- Five straight bulldogs reached to start the fifth as Adrian took a two-run lead and had bases loaded with no outs. But freshman Ty Sobczak (Petoskey, Mich. / Petoskey) kept the Scots in the game with three straight strikeouts to leave three men left stranded.
- Senior Jordan Anstandig (West Bloomfield, Mich. / Walled Lake Northern) and Sanderson reached to begin the sixth. They were advanced by a sac bunt by freshman left fielder Joshua Robinson (Dewitt, Mich. / Dewitt). Hamilton then came up and punched one by the shortstop to score Anstandig. The Scots tied it with a sac fly by Koin that scored Sanderson.
- Back-to-back doubles by the Bulldogs in the seventh would give them the lead for good. They added another in the eighth with a two out single to make it 7-5. The Scots would go 1-2-3 in the eighth and ninth innings to suffer their first loss of the tournament.
- Trucks went 3-for-5 on the day with one RBI. Hamilton and Koin both gathered two hits while knocking in a run and scoring one as well.
- Sobczak suffered his first career loss today. He also broke the single-season program record with 20 appearances so far this season.
- Adrian freshman and MIAA Pitcher of the Year, Maxwell Denny, gave up the most earned runs he's given up in a game all season to the Scots today.
Alma will play in game four of the MIAA tournament on Thursday (May 8). They will play Albion College in an elimination game set to start at 3 p.m.