Albion, Mich. – The Alma College baseball team loss, 5-3, and 6-1, in the first two of a four game series with the Albion College Britons. Starters Trevor Wregglesworth (Onaway, Mich. / Onaway) and Dylan Dzendzel (Royal Oak, Mich. / Royal Oak) took the losses for the Scots as they fall to 4-14 overall and 0-6 in the MIAA.
Game One: Albion 5, Alma 3
- The game was scoreless all the way up until the bottom of the third. With two outs, the Britons earned back-to-back walks off of the freshman pitcher Wregglesworth. A double brought in one run and then a single brought in two more. The next batter sent one deep over the centerfield wall to make it 5-0 Albion.
- The Scots would answer in the top of sixth. With two outs and runners on first and second, junior third baseman Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich. / Johannesburg-Lewiston) singled to bring in Alma's first run of the day. Junior infielders Zach Schirmer (Bay City, Mich. / Bay City Western) and Carter Sanderson (Ilderton, Ont. / Central Secondary School) would follow with back-to-back RBI singles to make it a two-run game.
- Alma would ground out three straight times in the top of seventh to fall in the first game of the twin bill.
Game Two: Albion 6, Alma 1
- The lucky third inning would strike again for the Britons with five runs being put on the scoreboard including four coming with two outs off of the junior Dzendzel.
- In the top of sixth, Schirmer came through again with two outs with an RBI single to score junior right fielder Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich. / Standish-Sterling).
- The following inning, Alma had the opportunity to score again with runners on first and second and two outs. Koin punched one out to right field and sophomore Alex Dwan (Saginaw, Mich. / Nouvel Catholic Central) was sent home, but the catcher was thrown out before he got to the plate to end the inning.
- Alma had two runner on once again with two outs in the top of the ninth but a Koin flyout would wrap up the doubleheader.
- Koin went 4-for-7 at the plate today while also scoring two of the Scots' four runs on the day.
- Sophomore Carson Kempa (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) pitched three shutout innings in relief in game one. The lefty struck out two batters while giving up zero hits during the appearance.
- The Scots out hit the Britons, 17-15, through the two games. Alma also left 13 runners on base.
Alma and Albion will do it again on Tuesday at Klenk Park for the Scots' 2019 home opener. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.