Adrian, Mich. – The Alma College baseball team was swept in Sunday's doubleheader against No. 18 Adrian College. The Scots lost game one, 11-4, and game two, 18-0. Alma served as the home team for both games but they were played at Adrian due to field conditions at Klenk Park. The Scots are now 4-12 and 0-4 in the MIAA this year while the Bulldogs are 11-2 and 4-0 in conference.
Game One – Alma 4, Adrian 11
- The Bulldogs tacked on five runs to start the game in the top of the first. In the bottom of the second, juniors Pete Carravallah (Canton, Mich. / Plymouth) and Carter Sanderson (Ilderton, Ont. / Central Secondary School) reached third and second base respectively with two outs. But the following batter would pop out to end the inning.
- In the third, the Scots would have their first three batters reach base safely. Junior first baseman Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) stepped up to the plate and singled in sophomore Alex Dwan (Saginaw, Mich. / Nouvel Catholic Central). Carravallah would drive home junior catcher Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich. / Standish-Sterling) to cut the lead to three.
- Alma looked to rally in the fourth with two outs with Dwan on second. Senior left fielder Jordan Anstandig (West Bloomfield, Mich. / Walled Lake Northern) hit a double to center to score Dwan and make it a two-run game.
- Heading into their last ups in the bottom of the seventh the Scots would score thanks to an RBI double from Trucks with two outs. But the following batter would pop out to end the game.
Game Two – Alma 0, Adrian 18
- The Scots struggled at the plate while Adrian took a commanding 7-0 lead after three innings played. A nine-run seventh put the Bulldogs up 16 while Alma was still searching for their first hit of the game.
- In the eighth with two outs, sophomore left fielder Nick Hartner (Beaverton, Mich. / Beaverton) was able to put one through the middle for the Scots first base hit. Carravallah would walk next to put two runners on but a ground out would end the inning. Alma would go down in order in the bottom of the ninth to seal the defeat.
- Alma out hit Adrian, 11-10 in game one. Anstandig, Koin, Trucks, Carravallah and junior shortstop Zach Schirmer (Bay City, Mich. / Bay City Western) all gathered two hits in the game.
- In game two, freshman Clay Crouterfield (Stanish, Mich. / Standish-Sterling) pitched a scoreless 1.1 innings while earning two strikeouts.
A four-game series with Albion College is on deck for next weekend. The Scots will head to Albion on Saturday (Mar. 30) for a doubleheader while the Britons will visit Klenk Park for a twin bill in what will be Alma's home opener on Sunday (Mar. 31). Game one on both days is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.