Berea, Ohio – The Alma College baseball team loss, 2-1, in 11 innings against Defiance College (OH) and then fell to Baldwin Wallace University, 4-3. Both games were played at BW's Fisher Field. With the two losses, the Scots fall to 4-7 on the season.
- The Scots got on the board early with senior Jordan Anstandig (West Bloomfield, Mich. / Walled Lake Northern) leading off the inning with a walk. Anstandig advanced to second on a walk by junior Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) and with two outs the senior scored on a clutch hit by junior Pete Carravallah (Canton, Mich. / Plymouth).
- Senior pitcher Joseph Barrons (Kingston, Mich. / Kingston) dominated early retiring 11 straight from the first inning to the fourth. He would not allow a Definace runner to reach past second base until the ninth when the Yellow Jackets were able to tie the game up on a one out RBI double. Barrons was able to work out of it by forcing a pop out in foul territory and ground out to the shortstop.
- Alma would have a chance to win in the bottom of the 10th with runners on first and second and one out. Carravallah hit a single to left sending Trucks home that would have been the walk-off winning run. But the junior was thrown at the plate. The Scots still had runners on second and third with two outs in the inning but a ground out ended the rally.
- A pair of two out hits led to the second Defiance run of the game in the top of the 11th. Alma went down 1-2-3 in the bottom half to end the game.
Against Baldwin Wallace
- It was a quick turnaround for the Scots coming off their extra inning defeat. Freshman Trevor Wregglesworth (Onaway, Mich. / Onaway) took the mound for the Scots. He faced his first tough task with runners at first and second and one out in the second. The freshman forced a ground out and then struck out the next batter to end the frame.
- After falling down 1-0, Alma would tie it the sixth thanks to a two out RBI double by freshman Joshua Robinson (Dewitt, Mich. / Dewitt). The Scots would add two more in the seventh with an RBI ground out from junior Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich. / Standish-Sterling) and a two out RBI single by Carravallah.
- Baldwin Wallace would take back the lead with two runs in the bottom of the seventh. Junior pitcher Travis Moyer (Portland, Mich. / St. Patrick) was able to strand runners at second and third to limit the damage.
- The Scots had the tying run in scoring position with two outs in the eighth, but could not capitalize. In the ninth, Alma went down in order to fall short.
- Against Defiance, Carravallah, Koin and Robinson each had two hits for the Scots. Robinson had the lone extra base hit for Alma.
- Barrons ended up with nine innings pitched giving up one run on five hits and one walk while striking out four.
- Junior Zach Schirmer (Bay City, Mich. / Bay City Western) went two-for-four at the plate in the loss to Baldwin Wallace.
- In his second career start, Wregglesworth went 5.1 innings while giving up only one earned run, the only one he's allowed so far this season.
- Five of the seven losses this season for the Scots have been by one run.
Alma heads to Earlham College (IN) on Tuesday (Mar. 19) for a 4 p.m. first pitch.