Berea, Ohio – The Alma College baseball team (4-5) dominated Oberlin College (OH) today, 17-2, in their first game of the OC-BW Round Robin at Baldwin Wallace University's Fisher Field.
Junior Carter Sanderson (Ilderton, Ont. / Central Secondary School) had his first career multi-hit game going four-for-five at the plate. Junior pitcher Dylan Dzendzel (Royal Oka, Mich. / Royal Oak) earned his second win of season with seven strikeouts over 6.1 innings pitched and allowing only 2 earned runs.
The game was called after eight innings due to time constrictions with other games needing to be played on the field.
- Alma got its offense going early with senior Jordan Anstandig (West Bloomfield, Mich. / Walled Lake Northern) hitting his first home run of the season to lead off the game. Junior Pete Carravallah (Canton, MIch. / Plymouth) came up next and worked a walk. Junior Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) stepped up and launched one out of the park to make it 3-0 Scots.
- After giving up a lead-off home run, Dzendzel faced runners at second and third in the first and was able to get the Oberlin batter to strike out looking to end the rally.
- The Scots would extend their lead with a run in the third, fifth and sixth innings. In the seventh with two outs, Carravallah hit a two RBI triple to right center to make it 8-2. Carravallah would score on the next at-bat on a wild pitch.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Dzendzel was working off of three straight shutout innings on the mound. The junior struck out his final batter with runners on first and second with no outs. Freshman Ty Sobczak (Petoskey, Mich. / Petoskey) came out of the bullpen and forced a flyout and fielder's choice to end the frame.
- Already up by seven heading to the eighth, Alma would pile on eight more runs. Back-to-back-to-back RBI doubles by junior Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich. / Johannesburg-Lewiston), freshman Joshua Robinson (Dewit, Mich. / Dewitt) and sophomore Alex Dwan (Saginaw, Mich. / Nouvel Catholic Central) put the first three on the board. Carravallah would have another two RBI hit, this time a double to left to make it 14-2.
- The hits would keep coming with Sanderson hitting a single with bases loaded to bring in Carravallah. Trucks scored on a fielder's choice and then Robinson knocked in junior Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich. / Standish-Sterling) for the final run of the game.
- All nine players in the lineup got a hit for the Scots with seven having at least two.
- 17 runs are the most for the Scots since they scored 18 against Calvin College on May 4, 2018.
- Alma worked a season-high 11 walks, Robinson had four walks including two hits for his perfect day of reaching on base.
- Koin had the Scots' one stolen base of the game.
The Scots continue their play at Baldwin Wallace with two games on Sunday (Mar. 17). First up is Defiance College at 11 a.m. and then Alma will play the host Yellow Jackets at 2 p.m.