Lexington, Ky. – The Alma College baseball team loss, 15-14, at Transylvania University's Marquard Field on Sunday. Junior Matt Scanzano (Oakville, Mich. / De Las Salle College Oaklands) went three-for-three at the plate with his first career home run. The Scots were up 14-9 heading to the bottom of the ninth when the Pioneers made a furious comeback to win on a walk off two RBI double. Today was a scheduled doubleheader but due to heavy rain one of the games was cancelled with no makeup date.
How It Happened
- Alma got on the board first with Scanzano's two-run homer over the left center field wall. After giving up two in the third, Alma responded with two more in the fourth with Scanzano hitting an RBI single and then coming around to score later on a wild pitch.
- The Scots had their big inning in the sixth that led off with a solo blast from junior Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant). Junior Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich. / Johannesburg-Lewiston) followed it with a double and then scored on a fielder's choice. With runners on second and third and one out sophomore Alex Dwan (Saginaw, Mich. / Nouvel Catholic Central) ripped a double down the left field line to plate two. Dwan would score before the inning was up to put the Scots up 9-2. In the next frame, Huff would have his own two RBI base hit to make it 11-2 heading to the seventh inning stretch.
- Transylvania cut the lead to five heading to the eighth where Alma was able to tack on three more. With one out, Trucks brought in two runners with a double down the right field line. The Scots would load the bases with two outs for junior Brandon Gallerson (Plano, Texas / Plano Senior) who worked a walk to score junior Carter Sanderson (Ilderton, Ont. / Central Secondary School) for the season-high 14thrun of the ballgame.
- The Pioneers would start their eight-run comeback with three in the eighth. The first five Transylvania batters would reach to start the ninth before the first out was made. The difference would be cut to one after a bases loaded walk with still only one out. The following batter would hit a double down the right field line to end the game.
- Trucks had three hits, three runs and three RBI, all season-highs for the first baseman.
- Huff and junior Pete Carravallah (Canton, Mich. / Plymouth) each had two hits. Huff has three multi-hit games this season.
- Starter pitcher senior Joseph Barrons (Kingston, Mich. / Kingston) pitched 6.2 innings, giving up three earned runs and earning four strikeouts.
- The Scots worked a season-high seven walks in the game.
- Alma committed five errors, before today the Scots had only made five errors all season.
The team will head to Northeast Ohio to play three teams next weekend. The first game is at Oberlin College (OH) on Saturday (Mar. 16) for a 1:15 p.m. start time.