Lexington, Ky. – The Alma College baseball team loss Saturday (Mar. 9) at Transylvania University by a score of 5-4. The Scots rallied to score two runs in the top of the ninth but could not complete the comeback. Junior Pete Carravallah (Canton, Mich. / Plymouth) went 1-2 at the plate with a triple and 2 RBI. Both teams records now sit at 3-4 on the year.
How It Happened
- Senior Jordan Anstandig (West Bloomfield, Mich. / Walled Lake Northern) worked a walk to lead off the game. The second baseman move around the diamond on a wild pitch and fielder's choice to be at third base with one out. Junior Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich. / Johannesburg-Lewiston) hit a sacrifice fly to center to bring in Anstandig and put the Scots up 1-0.
- In the top of the second, junior Carter Sanderson (Ilderton, Ont. / Central Secondary School) was at first base with one out when he stole second to put himself in scoring position for Carravallah. The center fielder hit a triple to knock in Sanderson and make it 2-0 Alma.
- The Pioneers chipped away with a run in the second, two in the third and then another in the fourth. In the bottom of the fifth with a man on second and one out, the Transylvania hitter struck out but the runner on second stole third and then scored on a throwing error by sophomore catcher Alex Dwan (Saginaw, Mich. / Nouvel Catholic Central).
- The Scots could not get anyone in scoring position in the sixth, seventh or eighth. In their last ups down three, Alma got things going with runners on first and second with one out. A failed pickoff attempt allowed junior Matt Scanzano (Oakville, Mich. / De La Salle College Oaklands) to come home and put Sanderson at third. Carravallah brought in Sanderson for the second time on the day with a sac fly to center.
- Anstandig stepped into the box with two outs as the tying run but grounded out to the pitcher to end the game.
- Junior Dylan Dzendzel made his third start of the season for the Scots going seven innings and allowing four earned runs on six hits and one walk while striking out eight batters.
- Freshman Ty Sobczak (Petoskey, Mich. / Petoskey) pitched a scoreless eighth inning out of bullpen.
- Junior Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) hit the other Alma extra base hit with a double in the fifth.
The Scots and Pioneers will finish out their three game series with a doubleheader tomorrow starting at 12 p.m.