Alma, Mich. - The Alma College baseball team split a home doubleheader with Olivet College on Sunday afternoon (April 22) as the Scots and Comets closed out their weekend series.
Alma (15-15 overall, 8-10 MIAA) held Olivet to three hits en route to a 7-0 victory in Game 1, while the Scots rallied from four runs down in the series finale to force extra innings, but suffered a 7-6 setback.
Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich./Johannesburg-Lewiston) went 5-for-7 with five RBIs in the two-game set, while sophomore Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich./Standish-Sterling) went 4-for-6 with two doubles. Sophomore Vann Acker (Eaton Rapids, Mich./Eaton Rapids) also tallied five hits, including three doubles.
With 10 games left in their league schedule, the Scots are currently tied for fifth in the MIAA with Hope College.
Game 1 - at Alma 7, Olivet 0
- Logan Huff went 3-for-3, while Vann Acker was 3-for-4 with two doubles as the Scots tallied 13 hits en route to their third shutout of the season.
- Josh Riggs, making his first start at Klenk Park in 2018, went the distance, striking out four batters while holding the Comets to three hits.
- Alma got on the board in the bottom of the first when Huff hit an RBI single to score Acker, then after Acker hit his second double of the day, Huff hit Acker home again with an RBI double in the bottom of the third to put Alma up by a 2-0 margin.
- Pete Carravallah scored Alex Dwan on a sacrifice fly to left field in the bottom of the fourth to make the score 3-0. The Scots scored twice in the bottom of the fifth, with Matt Minaudo hitting an RBI double to score Acker, while Ben Finzel scored Huff on a sacrifice fly to to center field at the next at bat.
- Jordan Anstandig hit a two-RBI single in the bottom of the sixth to complete the scoring, sending Max Trucks and Pete Carravallah home.
Game 2 - Olivet 7, at Alma 6 (10 innings)
- The Scots battled back from a four-run deficit, scoring twice in the bottom of the ninth to force extra innings in the series finale.
- Olivet scored three times in the top of the first inning, then added another run in the top of the fifth inning to go ahead by a 4-0 margin.
- Alma began its comeback in the sixth inning when Vann Acker scored on a RBI double by Ben Finzel, then the Scots closed the gap to one run with a pair of scores in the bottom of the seventh. Max Trucks hit a RBI single to score Jaret Koin, then Trucks was sent home when Logan Huff hit a sacrifice fly to right field.
- Olivet regained a two-run advantage with a score in the top of the eighth to take a 5-3 lead, but the Scots kept fighting, scoring twice in the bottom of the ninth to force extra innings. Alma loaded the bases with no outs in the ninth, then scored two runs when Huff singled to left field. The Comets got out of the jam after forcing a fly out and then ending the inning with a double play.
- In the 10th inning, Olivet put two runs on the board to take a 7-5 lead. Alma was able to get one run back when Jaret Koin scored on a groundout by Jordan Anstandig. With the tying run on third, Olivet's Huston Snyder forced Acker into a flyout to end the game and earn the save.
- Carson Kempa took the loss after throwing for the 10th inning as the Scots used five pitchers in the contest. Joseph Barrons got the start, but was relived after three innings of work.
- Alma has suffered four one-run losses in league play. The Scots are 3-6 in one-run games this season.
- Vann Acker improved his doubles total to 14 this season, one shy of tying the single-season record.
The Scots host Hope College at 2 p.m. on Monday, April 23, to close out a four-game series with the Flying Dutchmen in a doubleheader that was rescheduled from April 14. Following Monday's doubleheader, Alma will open a four-game series with Kalamazoo College on Saturday, April 28. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.