By Harrison LaLone, Sports Information student assistant
Westfield, Ind. - The Alma College baseball team met with the Panthers of Hanover College at the Grand Park Sports Campus for Alma's first doubleheader of the season on Sunday (March 11).
Sophomore Josh Riggs (Irons, Mich./Brethren) pitched a complete game, striking out eight while only allowing two hits as the Scots defeated Hanover, 2-0, in Game 1. Sophomores Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich./Mt. Pleasant/Davenport University) and Vann Acker (Eaton Rapids, Mich./Eaton Rapids) were each responsible for a game-winning RBI. Acker's came as part of a two-run eighth inning to secure Game 2, 3-1.
Game One: Alma 2, Hanover 0
- All the scoring the Scots needed came on the first out of the game, before Riggs had taken the mound. After sophomore Pete Carravallah (Canton, Mich./Plymouth/Adrian College) walked and sophomore Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich./Johannesburg-Lewiston) singled to left, Max Trucks grounded out to first allowing Carravallah to sneak the first run on the board.
- Later in the first inning freshman Alex Dwan (Saginaw, Mich./Nouvel Catholic Central) knocked in Logan Huff on a liner up the middle.
- Josh Riggs started his third game of the season and went 17 outs before allowing his first of the game. Riggs ended only allowing two hits in under 100 pitches thrown.
- The Scots ended the game with nine hits and six walks offensively. Despite only scoring two runs, 15 runners were left on-base in game one.
Game Two: Alma 3, Hanover 1
- Junior Joseph Barrons (Kingston, Mich./Kingston/St. Clair County C.C.) started his second contest from the hill this season. Barrons went seven innings in 86 pitches, earning five strikeouts before being relieved.
- Game two remained scoreless until the bottom of the six inning. Max Trucks doubled home Pete Carravallah after he walked for the fourth time of the day.
- After 16 scoreless innings for the Hanover offense, the Panthers tied the second game 1-1 by way of a fielding error with two outs. In the same half-inning, senior Eric Frontzak (Naperville, Ill./Montini Catholic) came in to relieve Barrons.
- The Scots wasted no time retaking control of the game. In the bottom of the eighth, Vann Acker comes to the plate with two outs to score Logan Huff on a single into shallow center field. Alex Dwan singled to left-center immediately after to score Acker.
- With one last chance in the top of the ninth, Frontzak slammed the door and took the win over the Panthers after having runners on second and third with no outs.
- In all seven games the Scots have played this season, the final score has been within two runs.
- Josh Riggs ended his complete game averaging less than 11 pitches per inning, Barrons averaged less than 13.
- Max Trucks earned the first RBI of both games of the doubleheader, giving him his third and fourth of the young season.
- The Scots stole four bases on the afternoon, one for each of Acker, Carravallah, and seniors Matt Minaudo (Clinton Township, Mich./De La Salle Collegiate) and Austin Roeske (Warren, Mich./De La Salle Collegiate).
- Vann Acker's game-winning RBI in game two leaves he and Matt Minaudo for the team lead with seven RBIs.
- By virtue of four walks this afternoon, Pete Carravallah now leads the team with seven this season.
- The Scots starting pitchers now have two complete games this season in their last four chances, the first being Joseph Barrons' performance against Capital University (OH) on March 1 in Florida.
Alma will travel to Wheaton, Ill. for the Wheaton College Invitational starting Friday, March 16, with a game against Aurora University (IL). The Scots return home for their first game at Klenk Park in 2018, against the Finlandia University Lions, on Tuesday, March 20.