By Harrison LaLone, Sports Information student assistant
Auburndale, Fla. - The Alma College baseball team scored its second win in as many games on Monday (Feb. 26), defeating Concordia College (MN) in a high-scoring 14-13 affair.
The Scots sent three balls over the fence in the contest, including three-run homers from senior Matt Minaudo (Clinton Township. Mich./De La Salle Collegiate) and sophomore Vann Acker (Eaton Rapids, Mich./Eaton Rapids).
Junior Alex Archambeault (Lansing, Mich./Waverly/Lansing C.C.) was the eventual winning pitcher of the contest, making him 2-0 as he was the winner by virtue of Minaudo's walk-off homer on Sunday (Feb. 25).
- Sophomore Ben Blake (Sanford, Mich./Meridian) started on the hill for Alma. Blake only lasted seven outs before being pulled, but did record three strikeouts.
- With the score tied at 1-1 in the third inning, Vann Acker came to the plate with sophomores Jaret Koin (Sterling, Mich./Standish-Sterling Central) and Max Trucks (Mt. Pleasant, Mich./Mt. Pleasant/Davenport University) on base. Acker sent the ball soaring out of the park near the left field foul pole, making the score 4-1 in favor of the Scots.
- In the fifth frame, Trucks returned to the batter's box to hit a leadoff home run to right-centerfield, making the score 5-3 in favor of Alma.
- In the seventh inning, Matt Minaudo smashed his second home run of the season to left-center, scoring sophomore Logan Huff (Johannesburg, Mich./Johannesburg-Lewiston) and junior Jordan Anstandig (West Bloomfield, Mich./Walled Lake Northern/Saginaw Valley State University) to make the game 10-5 Alma.
- In the bottom half of the same frame, the Cobbers put together a six-run inning, forcing the Scots to make two pitching changes before Archambeault would get the outs to escape the inning.
- Down 11-10 in the eighth, Koin, Trucks, and Acker would all get on base, allowing a walk of Anstandig to score Koin and tie the game. Senior Ben Finzel (Saginaw, Mich./Swan Valley/USC Salkehatchie) then singled to right center, scoring Acker and Trucks. A sacrifice fly by senior Austin Roeske (Warren, Mich./De La Salle Collegiate) would score Anstandig before the inning ended.
- Sophomore Dylan "Big Country" Clark (Tomball, Texas/Tomball Memorial) came to the mound for Alma in the bottom of the eighth, pitching a scoreless inning. Clark returned in the ninth and escaped a two-out bases-loaded jam to win the game and earn the save.
- Minaudo recorded his second home run of the season and of his career, and leads the Scots in home runs and RBIs (5).
- Acker and Trucks both hit their first homers of the season. This is Truck's first career home run and Acker's second. His first came at Adrian College on Apr. 14, 2017.
- Archambeault earned his second victory of 2018, Clark earned the first save of the season.
- Both Blake and freshman Carson Kempa (North Branch, Mich./North Branch) recorded three strikeouts in three innings-pitched or less.
- Koin made it on base three times in the contest, scored two runs, stole a base, but did not record a hit. He also walked once and was hit by two pitches.
The Scots continue play in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational Tuesday, Feb. 27, with a game against Augustana College (IL). First pitch is scheduled for 10:30 a.m.